If you prefer the do-it-yourself approach for your wedding hair, you have come to the right site.
Today’s DIY tutorial for a messy fishtail braid wedding hairstyle is the latest in our DIY wedding hair tutorials. You can check out our many DIY wedding hair tutorials, including the knotted bun hairstyle, the twisted bun hairstyle, the bouffant bun hairstyle, the rope braid updo the DIY hair tutorial for braided wedding hair for beginners, and most recently, the DIY faux bob wedding hairstyle for long hair.
For an edgier wedding hairstyle, it is hard to beat the wedding hair of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie, as we featured in our Katniss Everdeen wedding updo tutorial or the DIY hair tutorial for a high fashion faux hawk that Katniss would approve of.
Here is the DIY messy fishtail braid wedding hairstyle tutorial, from oncewed:
The fishtail braid is by far our favorite go-to hairstyle. It’s so unique, elegant, and super flexible. You can do a really tight, sophisticated braid, or you can mess with your braid a little bit to create a more casual, messy style. We worked with Christian Marc and Temptu to create this tutorial to show you how to create a perfectly styled, undone fishtail braid. We’d love to see a bride wear this with a more flowy, grecian style gown or even with a very structured modern dress to create a little contrast. Keep reading for the full instructions.
1. Start by pulling back clean, dry hair, and braid the upper half with a loose traditional braid.
2. Take a couple of pieces and pull them around the braid and pin with bobby pins to create a little texture at the top of the pony tail. Play with it a little bit until you’re happy with the way it looks. The messier, the better.
3. Take the remaining hair and use a fishtail style braid to finish the pony tail.
4. Create a messy look throughout the pony tail by pulling at the braid to loosen it up.
5. Secure the bottom of the braid with a small, clear rubber band or bobby pins.